105th ENGINEER COMBAT BATTALION
|About the 105th|
|Calendar of Events|
For those who are just getting into reenacting, gas cans have a cap that twists off and water can tops flip up.
As of this writing in fall 2009, I haven't tried the technique yet. So take it with a grain of salt and modify these instructions as you see fit.
I'll post more details as I find vendors and go through the process on my own water can.
And here's what I found from redoing my can. The sump Likker worked well, getting a lot of the rust out. For primer I used a spray can of Rustoleum satin strawflower paint, applying a couple of coats. The next time I do a can though I'll get a quart of paint and pour it in there. That'll coat better, especially the top of the can.
For food grade epoxy paint I used Camcote, a semi-clear paint used in the bee-keeping business. I put on two coats to make sure it covered well. It takes a while for each coat to dry as it's in an enclosed can, but it did the job well.
For a new seal at the mouth of the can, get a sheet of cork, draw circles the right size, and cut it with a sharp knife.